Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 225

Today's freaky garden bug is this caterpillar. I have no idea what kind it is, but do you see that white tic-tac looking thing on it? That means it was impregnated by a wasp, so there is a wasp larvae living inside it and feeding off of it. Basically the larvae controls the caterpillar, and the caterpillar is now a mindless zombiepillar. Once the caterpillar forms it's chrysalis, the wasp larvae transforms inside, will chew it's way out leaving an empty chrysalis shell behind.


Wally brought home a little aquarium from the store yesterday that was no longer being used ,so we decided to set it up in our kitchen. We've had a few small beta tanks, but I missed having a real aquarium. I would have liked to have had a bigger tank, but this was free so I'm not complaining! I spent the day cleaning it and setting it up, waiting for the fish to come later when Wally came home from work. In the end it looked like this...The boys love it and so do I.


Our male fiddler crab


No comments:

Post a Comment